Thursday, November 29, 2012

Gearing up for the Holidays

I'm all wrapped up in the holiday spirit, aren't you?  Even when I go out on the weekends, I am searching my closet for something with a little sparkle or shine. One of the HOT pieces this holiday season is the sequin skirt.

I had this outfit idea in my head that requires a gold sequin skirt.  Seemed when I wasn't searching for one, I saw gold sequins EVERYWHERE.  Of course now, I can't find one anywhere.  So I got busy looking online.  The one I found that seemed to be the right gold was well over $70.  This Mom's budget can't afford $70 for a skirt she'll wear a few times!  Then I wondered, could I make one?

Again, back to the Google searching, and voila! Why didn't I think of this weeks ago?  Of course...find the perfect fit in a skirt at Goodwill, and simply sequin it! 

Here are the quick and easy steps:

STEP 1
Go to Goodwill and find that perfect little skirt.  The color doesn't matter, just make sure that the fit is exactly what you want.

STEP 2
Head to the craft store (or if you find something that is sequined at Goodwill, that might work too...rework what is already done?).  Choose a perfect color sequin fabric.  Make sure the sequin fabric has some stretch. Sequined fabric can be a little pricey, so before you hit the stores, look online for a coupon.  I found a 40% off coupon and used that...making my "holiday gold" MUCH less expensive!

STEP 3
My step 3 is a bit different than the inspiration (link below). Cut your sequined piece of fabric about1-1.5" bigger than the "pattern skirt".

I then used a fabric glue to seam the sides of the sequin fabric together.  I stitched the sequins at the waistband of the skirt, and only about 2" down the sides.  This allowed the Goodwill skirt to act as a sort of slip for the sequins.

DONE!



Here is a 'how to':
(from: http://toothfairyfashiontale.blogspot.com/p/diy-sequined-skirt.html)