Friday, June 20, 2014

8 DIY Vintage Suitcase Projects


Suitcases are one item that you can always find at Goodwill. With that in mind, today's post showcases 8 ideas for ways you can use vintage suitcases for your home. Whether you are upcycling the suitcases into new pieces or simply adding them to an empty corner in your home, suitcases can offer both beauty and storage to your home.

When my kids were small, I made a rainy day suitcase that was filled with items from Goodwill, craft supplies, and fun dollar store items that they used to look forward to when we were cooped indoors. I have long been a lover of this sweet item at Goodwill and after you see these ideas, I know you will too!


Add Vintage Details to a Food Table


I do a lot of entertaining and I am always looking for pretty additions to our tables when entertaining. I love this idea from Ruffled on how to incorporate vintage suitcases in a party table display. Not only does it make for a beautiful display with the addition of a few fresh flowers, but it also gives you the chance to stack dishes at different heights and maximize your table while adding an interesting detail. 


Create a Suitcase Side Table

One of my favorite things that I see suitcases being used for is as a furniture piece. Not only does it add a beautiful detail to a room, but it also offers hidden storage within to house random items that might not have a designated space in your home. 

Goodwill can be a wonderful resource both for the base, the suitcase, and any vintage items you might like to display on top. Check out this fun tutorial for a diy vintage side table from A Diamond in the Stuff.



Add Detail to an Empty Corner


Although I am not a big fan of collecting things for my home, one collection I can get behind is one that both adds beautiful detail to a room and also offers storage for my home. You know that corner where you usually put the Christmas tree during the holiday season? That just might be the perfect corner to begin collecting interesting suitcases to stack. I can totally picture these being filled with off-season items like ornaments and holiday decorations that would save us time hunting for items in our basement. Try this fun suitcase collection inspired by Joys of Home in a corner in your house.


Create Unique Shelving in Small Spaces


One thing I am always looking for is shelving because our home did not come equipped with a lot of closet space. I love this idea from Something Created Everyday to create shelving for extra towels in a small bathroom. This is the perfect spot to also tuck away any items you might want to keep on hand for your guests without cluttering up your space and is a fantastic way to use smaller suitcases in your home. 


Add Whimsy to a Mantel


Although I don't have a fireplace, I have been seeing a lot of homes adding faux mantles to their home and filling them with unique objects. This french gray mantel is a beautiful addition to this home that I spied on Maple & Magnolia. I love the idea of painting vintage suitcases in coordinating colors to add a fun detail to a thrifted faux mantel. Who wouldn't love this for their home?


Create Creative Craft Storage


If your craft room is anything like my own, you are always looking for ways to store your oodles of craft supplies. I love this idea from Craft & Creativity on utilizing vintage suitcases for craft supplies storage. What a fun and chic solution for your creative space.



Make a Coordinating Set


The possibilities for decorating a suitcase abound and I browsed through millions of options before I happened upon this adorable set from A Beautiful Mess. I love the idea of applying coordinating fabrics vintage suitcases to create an adorable matching set. Wouldn't these be so cute in a nursery for tucking away baby toys, spare diaper supplies, or spare bedding?


Make a Cozy Pet Bed


Pet beds on the market are pretty ugly, but a vintage suitcase can be transformed into a perfectly coordinated space for your furry friend with just a few supplies. I love the idea of a cozy home out of an old suitcase and since my cat loves to climb in my suitcase when I am packing to leave for my trips, I have a feeling that this project would be a big hit at our house. Get the full diy suitcase pet bed tutorial on Take Courage.

Now hurry over to Goodwill and snag a suitcase for one of these fun projects today! What are your favorite ways to use old suitcases?